Thursday, May 5, 2011

How do you hang out at the end of your bed?

What's at the end of your bed?  A bench?  Nothing?  A pile of clothes?  (cough)

When I think about what should go at the end of a bed I automatically think of a bench nearly equal in length to the width of the bed.  Doesn't that seem like the most common and traditional route?

The mathematician in me is overly concerned with the appropriate proportion of length of bench to width of bed.  I have been looking at a lot of images of beds with benches and have now come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter.  Well, you don't want the bench to be wider than the bed.




When I think what luxe or chic at the end of a bed I think of a love seat or sofa.  You either have to have the money to spend on an extra sofa in a place that it isn't really about function or you have to have an extra sofa lying around...  It also just looks so comfy.  Benches look like they finish the bed...nice and tidy but they don't look particularly welcoming.  Sofa's are something comfy at the end of something super comfy.  Comfy comfy.

I love this bed.  I think I have seen it more recently than this picture taken in 1995...because it is hard to spot it's amazingness against that terr...interesting wallpaper choice.  There is so much orange in the background and foreground of this picture that you almost miss the very decorated (and beautiful) bedframe!  


And then most recently...in the blogosphere especially...but everywhere, really...there is the two-small-benches-at-the-end-of-the-bed.  I don't love it.  I don't hate it.  I like it when the two benches are creative.  

LOOOOOOOVE.
Eh
Here are a couple of creative choices that I really like!



Where am I going with this?  Well, looking through Elle Decor this month I noticed something over and over.  Have I actually rarely seen this or is it a conspiracy to start something new?  One small bench or chair, off center.  My absolute favorite example isn't available online and, although I hate to admit this, cannot figure out my scanner.  I hate that scanner.  The "bench" at the end of the bed is an old vaulting horse.  Can you picture that?  It's amazing.  I am going to have to get my scanner figured out.  The vaulting horse looks like it has a personality of its own.  This tiny little element dominates the room.  





All images available on Elle Decor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...