Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I might be a fan now.

I have never thought much of Nicole Scherzinger.  What I mean is...I don't think about her much.  I have never been a fan of the Pussycat Dolls.  Mostly because of their name.  It seemed too desperate for attention.  So I ignored it/them.  Then Loosen Up My Buttons came out and I kind of silently vowed to be always against anything Pussycat Dolls.  

Then Nicole Scherzinger started a solo career as well as judging/hosting everything.  I mostly had my ears shut off to her over sexualized lyrics and image.  At this point I was just a judge-y jerk.  


So yesterday B and I were watching Ellen and there was a performance by a female singer with background dancers.  B immediately asked for more music when the performance was finished so I turned the TV to a music video station.  Right There by Nicole Scherzinger ft Fifty Cent came on.  Don't worry.  B lost interest and left the room pretty quickly.  I, on the other hand, was hypnotized by the styling of the video.  Her...costumes?...are amazing.  Kind of slutty?  Yes.  But really beautiful layering and textures and colors.  Then I stopped and listened to her voice.  She has a really great voice.  And then I noticed the dancing in the video.  Again....pretty sexual...which I personally find annoying and desperate....but there is no denying she has real talent.

Side note:  I think Nicole's talent was amplified after seeing the performance on Ellen.  I spent most of the time thinking how weird her (the woman on Ellen) background dancers looked behind her.  She was doing half hearted dance moves while they were into it...and it struck me as odd....when did the use of back up dancers start and will it go away?   It's not good when someone can't watch or even half listen to your song because they are distracted by your dancers....and not because their performance is breath taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...