Wednesday, August 6, 2014

I'm back!

It has been a while.
pic taken by Walt

When we lived in Boston I used this blog as a way to keep my Mom up on all my creative stuff.  It was easier to get her advice when she knew exactly what I was thinking. :)  When we moved down the road from her....blogging just felt very "look at me".  But now...I don't care.  I miss it and it is a great way to keep track of all the things I have done..how things have changed...and to laugh at myself.  I was looking back at some of my first sewing projects from a few years ago and I can't believe how much I have learned and how much better I could do it now.  I am still proud of them but boy did I like to do things the hard way.

Anywho.  My third go at blogging.  Here goes!

Let's start small.  Small pillows that is.  I am so excited about these pillows for two reasons.  I have wanted some leopard print in my life for a long time.  It's hard to settle on just any leopard print when I know this exists:

via

Honestly...it has been a roadblock.  (Second reason I'm excited...through the road block!)

The other day I was browsing the remnant table at our local fabric store and found two 17"x17" samples of leopard print for $1 each.  (!!!)  I loved the print immediately and I couldn't wait to get home and make a pillow.  On the drive home I decided I wanted two pillows.  I needed to make these little remnants WORK for me. I had been waiting a long time. Luckily, I had a large remnant of black dupioni silk that I scored on sale and decided to use it as welt and backing.  Boom.

I made two 12"x16" pillows.  I feel like I am growing up a little bit.  Everything use to be COLOR COLOR COLOR! MORE COLOR! MORE COLORRRR!!!  I still like color...I just don't need it everywhere. Also...I guess brown and black and gold still count as color...they just aren't COLOR!

Here is an example of the growth and change I am excited to track on this blog.  A before and after.

COLOR
It's hard to say goodbye to these pillows not because I love them so much but because they are a bunch of firsts that gave me confidence in my sewing.  First welt & first zippers.  I remember the frustration I felt making both and I am happy to say I have learned multiple short cuts and methods to make both easier.  I also have procured some helpful tools along the way.....WHAT WHAT I GOT A WELT FOOT! (Thanks Mom!)

MORE COLOR


Grown up color.
 I think this print is fun fun fun.  The silk welt and backing turned out to look a little more..leathery...than I expected.  I think it is because of the shine.  At first I was afraid it would look tacky but really they just look badass.  Maybe you will feel that way when I up my photog skills.  I'm working on it.  After years of hating it and opting to just apologize over and over I am determined to get better.

Lovely Leopard Print
 Finally, if I knew how to photograph white better...you would see the blue and white pillows are now covered in a very feminine pillowcase I bought at Ikea.  The center has adorable vertical pin tucks and the sides have small, cute ruffles.  Leopard and ruffles.  Yes, please.

If anyone is still out there say hey!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...