Friday, June 3, 2011

New Book: The Bag Making Bible


A few days ago I received The Bag Making Bible by Lisa Lam of Uhandbag.  I can't remember how I found out about the book but I heard it was great.  Without looking at it I bought it.  Thankfully, it is absolutely perfect for where I am in my sewing skills and exactly what I have been hoping for in a reference book.  I have learned so much already and I am not even a 1/3 of the way through.  I highly recommend it if you are at least a beginner-intermediate bag maker.  It is organized by techniques and features...lining, structure, handles, closures, etc.  Each section is very detailed and informative.  At the end of each section is a how-to for a different type of bag....tote, clutch, messenger, etc.  A pattern is included for each bag...6 total.  The way the book is set up allows you easily customize your bag with the things you have learned.*

The most valuable part of the book for me so far are the multiple sections about and information she offers about interfacing/interlining.  I have a few projects I desperately want to start that involve interfacing...something I have never worked with.  My lack of knowledge and desire to not waste money or materials has kept me from getting started.  There are multiple sections on interfacing which has given me the boost of knowledge I need to get to it.

If nothing else, the pictures are pretty and inspiring beyond bag ideas.

*I updated the description of the book.  My memory failed me while writing and I mixed up the organization of the book!

2 comments:

  1. looks like a great book!

    I really do not know many great find type shops in Boston. But if you are ever on the Cape, there is a place called Wayne's Antique shop in Brewster. He is awesome and it is the most organized antique store I have ever been to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for getting back to me! i am bummed at the lack of creativity in antique/junk stores around here. i will keep Wayne's Antique ship in mind. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...