Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Architectural Inspiration

I recently watched Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.  I can't tell you if the movie was good or not b/c I wasn't paying attention to the storyline...I couldn't stop looking at all the architecture.  (You thought I was going to say Jake Gyllenhaal...didn't you?) Architecture from that part of the world always stops me in my tracks.  Granted most of that movie was probably CGI but it's based on something real.  I tried to find info on the set design for the movie but ended up just looking at pictures of Persian/Iranian architecture just to have a look and I feel compelled to share a few of my favorites.  It is so inspiring.  I love America but when I see this and then visit my local strip mall I feel a little sad about American architecture.  

I always justify modern architecture by saying, "But it's so intelligent..the beauty is in the technology and intelligence."  But this architecture just proves you can have both.  It's also for geeks and nerds because of the geometry and mathematics that drive it.  Yay!!  

Sheikh Lotf Allah Mosque.  
via essential-architecture.com
This took over 15 years to build.  15 years.  This is just a close up of a large building...but 15 years... in the 1600s.  That is some hard work.    Look at the detail!

The Jorjir Portal.  
via cartage.org

The Taj Mahal.  
via astheticsense.com
21 years to build.  This is one of my favorite buildings in the world.  Not only is it beautiful but it has a great story.  Although it is in India, it has a lot of Islamic and Persian influences in its design.   The shape of the dome is my favorite shape.

A bridge.
via essential-architecture.com
I love me a beautiful arcade but this bridge should put all arcades to shame.  Something about the pointed arch is both graceful and strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...