Sunday, December 4, 2011

Made it: Rag Doll

Finding gifts for an infant that is not your first born is tough!  Nothing is gender specific at 5 months.  Everything W needs for chewing and playing is already around from the B.  Poor girl never gets anything new except clothes.  I can't make a plastic toy for her to chew on.  I don't want to make infant clothes.  What should the made part of her gifts beeeee?



She might be a little young for a doll but everyone needs a rag doll.  I think it is pretty special to have a made doll from your mom.  Right??



It's far from perfect...but it's a rag doll so that's cool.

I used this pattern as a starting point.  I edited it a bit but it's close to the original.  I decided on felt hair after doing some research about rag doll hair.  The hair is dark brown even though it looks black here.  As for the face...it was the least creepy version of a rag doll face I could come up with.  There are some CREEEEPPPYYYY doll faces out there. C.R.E.E.P.Y.  Google it.  Anyway.  The whole face is stitched on with DMC Floss.

Nice.
The most trying part of this project was the felt hair.  I did it without a tutorial so it took me three tries to get it right...In the end it wasn't that complicated.  I traced the shape of the head (flattened) and then drew the hair around it.  I sewed the hair pieces together (right sides together), turned it right side out and glued it to the head of the doll.  I finished it off by stitching it around the perimeter of the hair.  It turned out way better than I expected based on my poor first few attempts.  Also, I wish I had stitched the face before I sewed the doll together.  Other than that, it was pretty straightforward.

Advent Conspiracy.  Check it out.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...